To drive more traffic to the client’s website and increase form submissions, we created three new Google Search ad campaigns with 17 ad groups that sent traffic to their homepage. The campaigns targeted people within the United States, which is where their audience is located. Keyword research was conducted using several tools to identify initial keyword options. The campaigns were set up within the client’s existing Google Ads account and we started running them to gather preliminary data over a 14-day period. Conversions were tracked through Google Tag Manager.
After the campaigns were live, we monitored them and made weekly optimizations to improve ad performance. As we encountered underperforming keywords or ad groups, they were paused to allow more budget to go towards the top performing ones. An underperforming keyword or ad group was spending the client’s budget without producing results, so it was important to make these adjustments. We also monitored the search terms (this is what potential visitors type when searching on Google). The wrong type of traffic wastes ad spend and lowers the ad quality score, so each week we used search term data to manage keywords.
When irrelevant search terms brought in unqualified searches, we added negative keywords to make sure the campaigns focused on only the keywords that mattered to the right customers.
We also adjusted the campaigns’ bid strategy to better meet the client’s goals. To make sure the campaigns were making the most of their budget, we changed the bid strategy from cost per acquisition, or CPA (optimizing for conversions while targeting a specific cost per action), to max conversions (optimizing for conversions while spending the entire ad budget, as opposed to targeting a specific cost per action). Using CPA as a bid strategy in this case proved to be ineffective and expensive, so changing the bid strategy helped us maximize the client’s budget.